Job Search Services
Job search services are available for free at the MEC Career Resource Center (CRC):
Computers and Office Equipment
Computers, phones, fax, and a copier are available for use in your job search. Computers are equipped with high-speed Internet access, enabling you to prepare resumes and cover letters as well as conduct searches and respond to job opportunities via the Internet. Use of computers and equipment is limited to job search activities, not for self-employment activities.
California’s no-fee Internet job search system quickly guides you through the resume preparation and job seeking process. You can access CalJOBS 24 hours per day, seven days per week through any computer that has Internet capability. MEC computers are available for your use for this purpose.
Employers often schedule information and recruitment sessions held at MEC. This gives you the opportunity to find out more about employment opportunities at a particular company, and perhaps even to have an interview for a specific job. MEC recruitment schedules are posted at the CRC and online.
MEC provides access to information and people who can help you cope with all aspects of seeking a new job. Books, videos, and CDs as well as Internet access and counselors can provide information on a range of topics related to your job search:
- Labor market and career planning information
- Employment and training programs
- Job search strategies
- Skills information such as interviewing, coping with transition/change, creating resumes and cover letters and job searching techniques
- Information on childcare, transportation, health care and other local services
Professional Career Search/Networking
While all services provided at the CRC are appropriate for customers seeking a professional career, Marin Professionals provides another source of assistance. Marin Professionals is a branch of Experience Unlimited, a self-help organization that provides career search workshops and networking opportunities for people seeking professional, managerial and high-level technical jobs. Call Norma Barnes at (415) 507-2114.
Special Job Search Needs
The MEC also provides information, counselors and services for job seekers with a range of special needs. Services to meet special needs include:
- Computer stations with accessibility features
- Referrals to employment and training programs, job search workshops and job clubs
- Academic and vocational assessment and counseling
- On-site representatives from MEC partner agencies to deal with unemployment insurance, veterans, older workers, people with disabilities, teens and other groups with special needs